Thursday, December 31, 2009

Gingerbread Massacre


So this year we attempted the ever popular Gingerbread house contruction/decoration. We've done it in years past but each time I forget how to do it for some reason. It's not that hard, but it always seems like the walls cave in or the roof falls off and it becomes a really frustrating experience. So, this year was no exception. Noah got to make one out of graham crackers at school so Jack was overjoyed when he saw that we had one to make at home. We started out with great enthusiasm but I quickly realized that I had messed up when the roof started sliding off under the weight of our decorations. Then as a last resort I decided to read the instructions (seriously, who needs instructions for something as straightforward as this?), only to find that we were supposed to put it togehter and wait for 15 minutes BEFORE decorating. Oops. No going back now. So, I enlisted my engineer husband to rescue our failing structure. When I came back 10 minutes later this is what I found.....
A pack of angry cinnamon bears had invaded and were storming the house with their toothpick guns. Only two were left to defend the pathetic excuse for a house and they were stranded on the roof. A few more were sacrificed on the side of the house with toothpicks through their heads to hold the roof up (too grousome to picture here).
After staring the boys in the face for a week, I finally relented and let them eat it (gross, gross, gross, stale gingerbread and crusty frosting, yuck! But sugar in ANY form is irresistable). It ended up on the floor and so to the garbage it went, much to their dismay (and my secret joy). Another Christmas tradition has been established!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...